Remote sensing data can help professionals manage and monitor extreme weather conditions. In this training, participants will learn how to access and analyze available NASA data relevant to flood management. This includes data on precipitation, soil moisture, inundation mapping, and elevation modeling. Participants will learn to apply data for assessing flood risk, monitoring conditions, and planning relief. Each session will include a presentation followed by an opportunity to use the data and tools covered in the presentation.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Apply open-source data and tools to flood monitoring and management
- Utilize satellite observations to evaluate extreme weather conditions, prepare for impending flooding, and plan relief activities
- Three day training
- Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - Thursday, April 20, 2017
- A certificate of completion will be provided to participants that attend all three days of the training
- Reference Material: List of Relevant Tools & Data Portals
- The training will be a mixture of presentations and exercises. Attendees will have the opportunity to form groups and conduct independent case studies.
- More information is available in the detailed agenda
- Complete Session 1 of Fundamentals of Remote Sensing, or equivalent experience
- Download and Install Python
- Download and Install Panoply (via NASA GISS)
Further information about using Panoply is available:
- Panoply Orientation (via NASAEarthData YouTube, ~3 min)
- Panoply Orientation (.pdf via Earthdata)
- How to Open a netcdf File in Panoply (.pdf via Earthdata)
- Overview of Panoply Sources Browser Menu Options (.pdf via Earthdata)
- Creating a Longitude-Latitude Plot in Panoply to Visualize Datasets (via NASAEarthdata YouTube, ~3 min)
Local, regional, state, federal, and non-governmental organizations involved in flood monitoring and management.
Attendees must bring their own laptop to participate. There is no registration fee associated with the training, and attendees are responsible for their own travel costs. Registration is now closed.